Monday, January 17, 2011

This day

“Some days, 24 hours is too much to stay put in, so I take the day hour by hour, moment by moment. I break the task, the challenge, the fear into small, bite-size peices. I can handle a piece of fear, depression, anger, pain, sadness, loneliness, illness. I actually put my hands up to my face, one next to each eye, like blinders on a horse. It’s my way to remember to stay put in now. Blinders make horses stay focused on what is in front of them. With blinders, they can’t see to the side and get scared or distracted. They can’t see what is going to happen, so they keep putting one hoof in front of the other and keep moving. I put my blinders on and tell myself, no looking at tomorrow, no looking at yesterday, then take a step and another and another....

I know longer squander today being afraid of tomorrow or wallowing in guilt or resentments of the past. God isn’t present in the past or future. The great I Am is in the present moment. When I claim that presence, I can get through anything today. That’s all that is required of any of us, to live today.”

This long excerpt is taken from a book called God never blinks, by a woman, Regina Brett, who writes from a place of having weathered many things in life, including a battle with breast cancer. Her book is broken down into what she calls “50 lessons for life’s little detours.” Boy, could I relate to that. But even more, this metaphor of putting blinders on her eyes to keep her focused on the moment, the moment that God is present in, sang right along with the tune I’ve been hearing lately. Live for today. Our lives do not exist in the past; we have no guarantees of a future. All we ever really possess is this moment, so don’t squander it.

It’s my aim to wake up each morning and, whether in my sleepy fog or refreshed wakefulness, begin by thanking God for this day. Not because I necessarily feel thankful or am compelled by some other emotion, but first and foremost just because this day is my present to receive, unwrap and share.

No comments:

Post a Comment