Friday, January 28, 2011

Personal remodeling

I'm not always conscious of it, this almost innate tendency to "work" on myself. But were I to make a list at any given time, I may see a pattern of taking on a number of self-improvement challenges at a time. Once I get started, I'm inspired, and it's hard not to take something else on, and then another. As my mind was wandering today, I followed it and made a mental list of some of the changes I've made or am in the process of making in the past several months:

Becoming vegetarian
Weekly "dates" with God
Posting on my blog site daily
Regular visits to my counselor
Weekly date nights with Ricardo
Attending a monthly writer's group
Slowly weaning myself off dairy products
Trying to shop weekly at local farmer's markets
Cutting back on coffee... (as I'm sipping an americano)
Ditching shampoo for a more natural, shampoo-free hair diet (it works wonders!)
Increasing my exercises to strengthen my legs and hips and ease back into running

Just a few things I'm working on, some of them more important than others, but practical and tangible. I do seem to thrive off challenging myself. Though I can swing toward perfectionist, thankfully as I look at this list and humbly note to myself the areas I'm not so faithful in yet, I don't really feel bad about that. It's an ongoing process, and maybe I'm finally getting the hang of just enjoying the journey instead of stressing about my performance or destination. After all, I'm taking all these things on for different reasons, but the underlying commonality is that I want to grow. I don't want to stay the same over time.

However, I need to be careful, that this list of things doesn't become like a pile of books I'm trying to read all at once. I pick one up in the morning and another in the afternoon, and another the next day, and after a couple of weeks, I'm nowhere near finishing any one of them and having a hard time recalling what I've read, so I have to go back and reread some material each time I pick the book back up. Not exactly effective if I never finish the book, no matter how thrilled I was to begin reading it in the first place.

Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment