Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Reality check

Today has not been in my hall of fame of greats. Being sleep-deprived and emotional sure doesn't help. I caught myself in a pity party as I was driving away from work, when I glanced to my left at the guy on the street corner. It's been snailing (snowing-hailing) on and off most of the day and the temperature is dropping. There he was, standing outside in a well-worn flannel shirt and sweatpants, no coat or gloves or hat, trying to peel an orange with some object I couldn't recognize. Selling his Real Change papers. I've seen him a bunch before, on another street corner, but today his presence really silenced my pity party.

I felt ashamed and humbled by this flash of reality check.

I may have felt like I was having a bad day, but I couldn't say I was having a bad life. And maybe this guy wouldn't say that, either. I don't know his story. But I'm guessing things have been rough for him for quite awhile. I, on the other hand, have a job, and not a bad one at that. I have medical benefits and excellent health. I have a warm, dry place to live. I have fresh, nutritious food to eat at any time of the day. I have family and close friends. I have more clothes than I need. I have education. And I have hope. This day will soon be a blip on the screen of my memory, nothing more than a little bump in the road. And this fellow will continue to stand with his papers out in the cold. My heart melted like a puddle.

I may be having on off day, but I'm not having a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment