Thursday, August 2, 2012

Re-Gifting {1}

At the end of this week, I find myself wanting to look back.  Not in regret or introspection, but in reflection and gratitude.  It's not a new thing for me, this topic of gratitude, but I have a small idea that I think I'd like to try out, specifically on Fridays here on my blog (by the way, I realize just now that I jumped the gun and it's not Friday... but we'll just get an early start this first time!).  I just need some others to join me.

I'd like to call it Re-Gifting.

What if, every Friday, I were to close the weekdays and enter into the weekend on an intentional note of gratitude?  I'm not one who typically enjoys making lists or reading other people's lists... but when it comes to thankfulness, that desire changes.  It actually helps me, changes me, to make lists of the gifts I'm thankful for (even the hard stuff), and if I make a practice of doing that on Fridays, what a great way to remember. 

So, why Re-Gifting?  It just fits.  I know this term often has a slightly negative connotation (e.g., getting rid of our unwanted gifts), but in this case, I like it as a way of sharing the gifts we have with others through written word.  Maybe some of my weekly gifts include something I appreciate about someone else or an interaction with a person that positively impacted me, and my sharing it is a way of giving the gift back to them and touching someone else... 

But I don't want to stop with posting my lists alone.  What gets me really excited is the thought of you, my readers, some whose names and faces I know and others I've never met, sharing your lists here.  In this community.  To inspire each other.  To challenge each other.  To remind each other.  Would you join me in this simple venture?  It doesn't have to be long or eloquent or profound - or even comprehensive.  The simplest of lists will do.  Just be sincere and own it.  

If you'd like to join me, please post your list on Fridays on your personal blog and link back to this site, then post the link to your blog in the comment section here (I need to figure out a more streamlined way of doing this, as I see happen on other blogs, but for now this will have to do).  If you don't have a blog, you might consider starting one, or simply let us know some of your gifts in a comment.  Either way, it's great to hear from each other.

Here we go... my first (delivered on Thursday) Friday Re-Gifting list:

1. Stumptown coffee, browsing bookstore, salted caramel truffles and fried plantains with  Ruthie

2. Mastering new technological skills after frustrating hours of trying

3. Ricardo's beaming face, holding up new polo shirts with his business logo printed 

4. Engrossed in the Olympics, for hours on end

5. An aching heart for a family in pain, driving me to pray

6. Stiff limping barefoot in the house, first time without a walking boot on my injured leg 

7. Breaking a sweat on the stationary bike after months of no workouts

8. Lingering in long conversation with my sweet Leah in the summer afternoon

9. Husband scrubbing dishes in the bathtub when the kitchen sink is plugged

10. Catching up with Juli (and seeing bubbly baby Andrew) at Volunteer Park Cafe

I hope we can have fun with this together.  If you're interested in reading more about keeping lists of gifts and living full of gratitude, check out the author who inspired me on this journey and her bestselling book, One thousand gifts.

Happy Re-Gifting, friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment