Monday, January 25, 2010

If I could be anywhere...

If I could be anywhere in the world right at this moment,
I would be in Haiti.
I'd be searching out the orphans.
I'd be sitting beside them during the long days,
when they're too exhausted to play and too shocked to grieve.
I'd be holding them throughout the nights,
when they're afraid of being alone.
I'd be praying quietly over them, singing, as they sleep.
I'd be listening to their stories, their nightmares, their hopes
and their fears.
I'd be crying with them, and wiping away their tears.
I'd be kissing and bandaging their smaller scrapes and wounds,
while they wait to receive medical attention.
Yes, if I could be anywhere in the world,
in a heartbeat,
I'd be in Haiti with the orphans.

Except, Lord, I'm not in Haiti right now.
But You are.
Please be to the orphans everything I wish I could be, but can't.
Remember them, as You have promised:
"But You have seen, for you observe trouble and grief, to repay it by Your hand...
You are the helper of the fatherless" (Psalm 10:14).

You know every orphan's name, You know every orphan's pain.
You see every tear, and You hold them close to Your heart.
Yes, Jesus, You-Are-the-God-Who-Sees (Genesis 16:13).

No comments:

Post a Comment