Thursday, September 22, 2011

Imagination uncorked

Putting thoughts into meaningful words early in the morning is not as easy a task as I thought. I can only use that topic for my blog once before it's old hat, though. This morning, though, my mind is floating, drifting, a boat that's been untied and is rocking in the calm current at pre-dawn on a lake. I can't pretend to have any real inspiration this morning. Why not ponder something that is worthwhile, then; something that anchors my drifting thoughts?

This statement catches my eye in a book I'm reading: "I could more easily contain Niagara Falls in a teacup than I can comprehend the wild, uncontainable love of God" (Brennan Manning, Ragamuffin gospel). I underlined it yesterday, and then I moved on. How can I move on so quickly, so easily, from a thought like this one? Now I'm reeling my mind back in. Stay here for awhile. Heck, stay here forever, on this one thought, and I'll never be lacking for inspiration.

Why do we so often try to tame God, try to quantify, qualify his love, reduce it to the rational? If you don't believe in God, I have no desire to argue with you. I don't think the existence of God was ever meant to be an intellectual argument, as if we had a vast enough mind to comprehend and dissect the existence of a divine Being greater than ourselves. If you do believe in God, but you're not sure you believe in God's wild, uncontainable love, then my question for you, for myself, is why not? I mean, if it's too good to be true, too big to be rationalized, beyond scientific explanation, beyond our experience, couldn't that be an answer in itself?

Imagine, every day, waking up and being caught up in something so wild it cannot be tamed, so adventurous it can never be boring, so fulfilling, so joy-inspiring, so peaceful, so liberating, so mighty it cannot be overcome, so undeserved it neither requires or desires payback, so life-giving, so healing, so affirming we are made whole. I wish this is how I woke up every morning, but I can start with this morning. As soon as I begin to imagine that this is too good to be realistic, that this is the stuff of fairytales or crazy people or dreams, or for someone other than myself, I challenge myself to keep imagining. You can try it, too, if you want. Let's just see what happens.


No comments:

Post a Comment