Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Discovery

Risk-taking has been on my mind a lot lately.  For one who has lived much of her life afraid of making mistakes, it's first a little dose of terrifying and a lot bit of exhilarating to toy with breaking free of this fear in a big way.  I'm reaching a place in life where it's necessary to choose between what is safe and known and or embrace what is authentic and true to who I believe I'm  becoming - without knowing the end result.  I guess that qualifies as a great risk.  I admit, I feel some nervousness, but mostly, I feel a deep longing to take the path that requires life to be so much bigger, God to be so much greater, than I can comfortably predict. If God is only as great and faithful and capable as far as my imagination stretches, I am merely worshiping myself. 


And so, in the words of some late greats...  


"What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" -- Robert Schuller


"Nothing will ever be attempted, if all possible objections must be first overcome." -- Samuel Johnson


"Never let the odds keep you from doing what you know in your heart you were meant to do." -- H. Jackson Brown, Jr.


"A man would do nothing, if he waited until he could do it so well that no one would find fault with what he has done." -- Cardinal Newman 



"Security is mostly a superstition. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." -- Helen Keller






"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." -- Anais Nin

"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." -- Andre Gide

No comments:

Post a Comment