Friday, January 25, 2013

Five-Minute Friday: Again




There's punctuation of power in this word, again.  I'm on a swing, flying out across this great expanse of Again - from negativity to gratitude, from death to life.  And I am the ball on the string, a pendulum deciding where to throw my weight.  

I wake up weary, again.  And I wake up again to mercies flowing fresh.

We fight, again.  And we forgive, again.

I wound my beautiful, scarred Savior again.  And again, he loves without drawing lines in the sand, without pulling back the way I do when I'm wounded. 

Again I do the thing I don't want to do, say the thing I don't want to say, act out the person I don't want to be.  And again, I recall that there is enough grace here to show me another way, to remind me that I am not this.  That I am still being made new.

Again, I feel the crush of fear.  And here again, I open the door to trust and watch the fear drop off with each small step, crushed beneath my feet.

I hunger again for what I do not receive.  And again, in the dark of the night, I come and rest in the arms of the one whose love alone satisfies the endless ache.  

It's a swaying, a pulling, sometimes a leaping, a healing and hoping word, this again.  

How it can swing around, full circle, and we spin our heads around this panoramic view with wonder, with words so few. 

Linking up with Lisa-Jo and the Five-Minute Friday community for today's post "Again." 

15 comments:

  1. Oh my, your post brought tears to my eyes today. You are a master at producing image " hunger again for what I do not receive. And again, in the dark of the night, I come and rest in the arms of the one whose love alone satisfies the endless ache."
    And, your header is beautiful, truly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christa, wow. I am so touched that this post spoke to you. I truly didn't want to write this week for FMF, because I didn't feel I had anything to say. But I'd like to think God thought otherwise :-) Bless you.

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful for the visit here and the time you took to leave these words.

      Delete
  3. yes, there is power in this word..
    doing anything again and again makes it a habit for life after all:) (i should have put this in my post!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, it's funny, isn't it, how clearly the words pour forth when commenting on others posts sometimes? You're right, though. Sometimes it's repetition that we need, and "again" evokes this perseverance and discipline in that context.

      Delete
  4. I feel the pendulum swing. I am so grateful for the swinging back into His safe embrace.
    Beautiful imagery.
    Again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, friend. I'm so grateful, too, with each swing out, to swing back in to his safe embrace. So redemptive.

      Delete
  5. Oh Amber, this is my story. It's so heartbreaking, isn't it? But the Good News...thank God, this is for us too. Something about this line made my heart feel alive with recognition: "And here again, I open the door to trust and watch the fear drop off with each small step, crushed beneath my feet." Amber, you tell at story so beautifully. Grateful for your words today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, dear friend, it is heartbreaking. When I think of all the tearful "agains" - all the ones I didn't want to repeat, and still do. And there, each time, I'm so grateful for the glimpses of grace - that each of these "agains" is followed with the "again" of Christ's unfathomable love. I understand, more fully in these moments, how we who have been so in need of grace are capable of greater appreciation of what we've received. I pray I'm better able to give in the measure I've received. Love you so much.

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love this! What a beautiful interpretation of the word again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful you visited here, Claresa - and thank you for your kind words :-)

      Delete
  7. Hi Amber
    Visiting a bit late from FMF, but glad I did! Your words reminds me so much of Solomon's wisdom that there is truly nothing new under the son!
    Much love and a blessed week
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mia, isn't that the truth! Thank you, friend, for visiting me here and blessing me with your "presence" :-)

      Delete