Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A door to somewhere

It's so true, at least much of the time, that we really don't know how much we treasure something until it's taken away.  One of my life goals is to cultivate a grateful heart, thankfulness that fills my lungs almost as natural as breathing, though I even take that for granted.  Everything, absolutely everything, is on loan as a gift.  Our loved ones, our health, our jobs, our talents and skills, our possessions, our bank accounts, the beauty of the earth, our dreams for the future, even tomorrow itself.  All we have is today, this very moment: a door waiting to be opened.





I am tired after multiple nights of sleep interrupted by hopping on one leg to the bathroom, of taking pain pills and trying to get comfortable.  I wake up next to my husband and look into his deep brown eyes and feel the warmth of him, and in a moment, all that is lost is put into place behind this.  My heart swells with love beyond what I imagined, and I think, "Here is my gift today; here is the door."


God, give me your perspective.


"These are the days of miracle and wonder." 
~ Paul Simon

"We are most alive when our hearts are most conscious of our treasures."
 ~ Thornton Wilder

"Let us go out and let stories happen to us.  Let's work them, water them... till they bloom." 
~ Clarissa Pinkola Estes

"Each day is a little life."
 ~ Earl Schopenhauer



No comments:

Post a Comment