Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The shape of a life

 


It's been one of those brimming over weeks, the kind that don't come around as often for me any more, where I'm struggling to find space in all the moments to tuck away and write.  The honest truth is, I haven't even known what I would write, only squirmed beneath the gentle pressure of things filling up and not being able to get out Something. Whatever that something is. 

I've been writing nearly every day in my little black composition notebook, this is true. And it's been good. But I miss here, too. It's going to take me awhile, I think, to balance my beautiful-rubbish-writing with my growing-a-seed-writing. I'm so fresh into it, and yet already I can see, it's a lovely, lonely affair. 

This week there have been the chiropractor appointments for my husband, the extra chores around the house, the waiting to hear from insurance, the beginning to shop around for a car. We've celebrated four years since we've been together, on an old fuzzy blanket down by the lake dining on turkey sandwiches and reminiscing about that night he and I took our first step in becoming a We. There have been talks of dreams and stirrings of big changes we are both desiring.  And there have been my own rumblings beneath the surface. A passion is rising in me that isn't exactly new, but it might as well be, for it's catching me delightfully by surprise, how long it's been in the making. I hear it in my voice, the few times I've voiced it out loud to ones that I love, that nervous constricting of my vocal chords in sheer excitement; that sound of life and hope that has been dormant for a long, long time. I hear it and it sounds old and young, familiar and strangely outside myself, in a voice that's grown up a bit since the last time it came around.

A dear friend said quietly to me over the phone, when I paused for a breath in my tumbling out words, "I don't even remember the last time I heard you this excited. I love it."

And so this week, I've been researching, too, and dipping my toes in the waters of a new adventure, and it feels so good. I've forgotten, nearly, what passion feels like. I've forgotten, completely, what dreaming feels like.

It last looked like Africa.  It no longer looks like a place, but the shape of my life sculpted and pieced together over long stretches of time and season.

I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm older now, and I don't need this new passion to fulfill me, to define me, to legitimize me. I don't need to prove anything to myself or God or anyone else. I simply see something that I believe deeply in, that I want to be part of, and I'm figuring out how I can jump in and add my one little life to the mix.  

* * * * *

Joining up with Unforced Rhythms and Heather and Jennifer



4 comments:

  1. Oh, the anticipation and excitement of something new and fresh. A rediscovered dream. I do hope you'll continue to share as it takes shape in your spirit and then in your life. Your voice is a beautiful addition to Unforced Rhythms. Please link up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for these kind words, Beth... I'm with you, reading and offering words of presence to those in the link up, so it's nice to also receive from you, friend. I look forward to the challenge of putting into words what is taking shape as it continues to settle on me. I appreciate you.

      Delete
  2. May we never stop dreaming. Never close our hearts off to the leading of the Spirit and the excitement that can stir. Love this post! Heart Hugs, Shelly <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how hopeful your perspective, Amber. Yet not the kind of hopeful that is glaring or trying to ignore the dark side of things. Yours are eyes that have seen both the light and the dark ... and possibly have chosen to see the light of what will come IN the dark of what is. Hope.

    Thanks, as always, for sharing with us at UR.

    ReplyDelete