Monday, June 30, 2014

Mirrors among us (a guest post for Unforced Rhythms)


A friend asked the other day what brought about my love of birds, and at first, I didn’t know how to answer. I was searching my memory banks for a specific moment in time, or a specific bird that first laid hold of my affection, and came up empty. It took me fumbling through several unsatisfactory explanations before the real answer came into focus.

 “I think I began to love birds when I could sit still long enough to observe the world around me. I couldn’t help but notice their beauty, what amazing creatures they are.”

While these words tumbled out, I felt them warm me, glowing like embers, a slow burn from the heap of my heart’s contents.

* * * * *

There’s something different about birds, the way they undo me. The way it’s about even more than the fascinating bird right in front of me, but about all birds and how they speak to me about life and God in their songs, in their flight, in all the quiet ways they exist in the background of human lives. The way we lead parallel lives.

This hasn’t always been the case.

 

I'm sharing the rest of this story over at Kelli's today, for Unforced Rhythms. Would you follow me here to continue?

10 comments:

  1. Hi Amber, I'm visiting from Kelli's. I loved your post. Creation, although flawed, sings His praises. Imagine the glorious harmonies yet to come. Your site is beautiful. I'm so glad to have found you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Deb, I'm so happy you jumped over here from Kelli's. Yes, creation sings his praises in a way that takes my breath away, even with all the imperfections, so I cannot even imagine the glories to come. It's beyond exciting to think of. Thank you for being here.

      Delete
  2. Hi! I'm here from Kelli's! Did you go to Deidra Rigg's Jumping Tandem retreat? You look so familiar. Also, wondering if you're from Portland, like me? It sounds like you may be from some of the things you mentioned in your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth! I wasn't at JT, but I'm hoping to go next year. And you're close - I live in Seattle - but I lived in P-town before moving here :) So, nice to meet you, PNW neighbor!

      Delete
    2. I love this. Two of my sweetest blogging sisters making introductions. Could it be that you know each other from the Clackamas County/East Portland back in the day? Or that Amber looks familiar to you, Elizabeth, because she and I are buddies and we comment frequently on each other's things? Anyway, so happy to see you both. xoxo

      Delete
    3. Friend, I so get this. The years of straining to perform and now learning to receive the gifts that are through God's glorious creation. I love how you share your journey through the birds. It is so life giving. I love you.

      Delete
  3. Hi Amber,
    As you know from Kelli's, I love your post, and your blog is a real blessing too! I'm now following by GFC, and I hope you'll consider following me at Saved by Grace:
    http://savedbygracebiblestudy.blogspot.com/
    God bless,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my kindred spirit! This may be the nonsensical drivelings of a feverish woman but I hope that your flight from here to Kelli's brings many more readers to perch in your "tree". Your words are like a birdsong just calling us to avert our eyes from our paths and look a little closer and focus on the singer of them. Sing friend sing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I love you and your 'nonsensical drivelings' (though I'm awfully sorry you're feverish, for reals). We are kindred spirits, and I'm so grateful you get this side of me. We'll sing together.

      Delete
  5. I love that His creation speaks deep to you, Amber ...

    ReplyDelete