Friday, March 15, 2013

Five-Minute Friday: Rest

I walk with him yesterday, fingers turning red in the evening air, and I talk the entire time, it seems.  Of all the things that press and claw and cling, and how I want to throw them off and rest.  My stride slows as I realize this, my feet trudging beneath the weight of it all.  

"Jesus, I need to rest awhile.  I'm exhausted, weary of grief..and it's made me wary of you."

I let the words roll of my chest, because he already knows.

"I know you said life won't be easy, but I also read we wouldn't be crushed.  I want to believe that."

Those words dripping with promise, a drink in the wilderness, emerge from my heart: "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

I can't separate those words of promise from something else he said about seeking him and his ways above everything else, and all the things that we tend to worry about - our clothes and food and where we'll live - he'll take care of them.  Because he takes care to clothe the flowers in beauty with his eye on the sparrow, and aren't we of immeasurable more value than those?  All these things; all the rest.  That's what he promises to watch over.

photo
And I think of the red breasted robins I've been admiring on the front lawn as we drive up the hill to home, and I thank him for them. 

It's not easy, to come to him and find rest, if we're carrying around the weight of the rest.  

Maybe, most of the time, rest depends on how much we are willing to let go of all the rest, outcome uncertain, and walk with him in the cool of the evening.

Linking up at Lisa Jo's place for another Five-Minute Friday post, this week on "rest." 

8 comments:

  1. "rest depends on how much we are willing to let go of all the rest" So very true! The isn't rest in an outcome or in uncertainty. There is rest in His promise. Thank you for the lovely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, sister - the rest is in his promise. I'm so thankful for that and still so challenged to receive it and lean into it, but mercifully, it's still there. Always.

      Delete
  2. Dear Amber
    That coming to Him just costs us about everything familiar. It is a BIG leap into the unknown, but SO worthwhile and wonderful! Yes, to tell Him everything brings so much rest to my heart.
    Much love XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Mia, what a joy that is - telling him everything, how that brings rest to our hearts. What a friend we have in him.

      Delete
  3. Friend, how I appreciate your wisdom here. Your recognition that your wariness of grief has caused your weariness in your separation from him. I, too, was struck by the quote MLH mentioned above. This invitation to lay it down requires submission (which can feel so painful), but in it he offers us everything. I am grateful for the ways you lay open your pain and process before us, your readers. It is beautiful in his redeeming hands. I love you.

    ReplyDelete